Broccoli Cashew Cream Alfredo

>> Monday, January 18, 2010

Yes, no camera for now. New one on Friday, promise. In the mean time, enjoy this great picture. I'm pretty sure that bunnies make everything better (except food).

Also in the meantime, try this cashew cream alfredo, I promise it makes good numblies. Requires some kind of grinding instrument: Magic Bullet, Vita-Mix, or food processor, or any spinny/blendy thingie you use.

Broccoli Cashew Cream Alfredo
1 cup cashews
1/2 block firm silken tofu (drained)
3/4 cup broth of your choice (I use vegetarian "chicken" flavor)
1 box of Ancient Harvest Quinoa spaghetti
1 broccoli crown, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
sea salt
black pepper
dash of nutmeg
(optional) 1/4 cup toasted almost slivers

1. Cook Quinoa pasta according to directions on box.
2. While pasta is cooking, grind the cashews in a food processor (you can use soaked cashews if you want or are used to that, but I didn't). Don't grind them too much so you get cashew buttah, that's not the point here.
3. When the cashews are crumbly, add the 1/2 block of firm silken tofu, and pulse to combine.
4. Drizzle or pour in small quantities of the broth until the consistency is smooth. Make it a bit thinner than you want your end sauce to be, as it loses a bit more moisture when we cook it with the broccoli.
5. Drain your pasta.
6. In a large pan (I just use the pasta pot) saute the garlic in olive oil to get some color, then lower the heat and add the chopped broccoli and cook till just barely tender.
7. Dump the cashew cream sauce all over the broccoli and stir to combine. Heat through and add salt/pepper to taste. Please don't burn your mouth.
8. Toss in cooked pasta and stir to combine. Plate it up and top with toasted almond slivers and a dash of nutmeg.

Serves 2 large main course or 4 smaller portions as a side dish.

Note: I'm sure you can definitely sub out broccoli for another veg of choice if cabbage flowers aren't your thing. Or you can omit it all together and serve something green on the side.

Have I mentioned before how much I love this Quinoa pasta? Actually, according to my blog archive, I haven't. Well, let me just say that I see a future for italian food in my life now.
Previously, the thought of semolina... heavy, toothy, white product pasta meals made me gaggy. And then there's the whole wheat pastas, which for me are rather lacking in taste and too abundant in texture. Not only did these heavy wheat pastas raise my blood sugar through the roof, but they made me super loagy.

Since Evan's mom has Celiac's Disease, she's come up with a myriad of gluten-free products to replace those things that used to make her sick. She brought over a box of this amazing pasta one night when Evan was making dinner and I wouldn't stop raving about it. I was happy to grab a box of this @ Henry's, and definitely had alfredo on the brain.

If you can snag a box of this stuff, please do! Have a good Tuesday everyone!

1 comments:

Lily Girl January 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

That is my favorite type of gluten-free pasta!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP